Kanabec History Center Exhibit Hall is divided into several exhibit
areas. Some areas house long term exhibits while other areas rotate
more often, so there is often something new to see at the History
Center. All of our exhibits are about Kanabec County History featuring
items from the Kanabec History Center archives.
in the main exhibit hall are available for viewing year round Tuesdays
through Saturdays 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Admission adults $3.00 Students
K-12 $1.00, Members Free. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an
- Ojibwe Winter Camp, The Advent of the European Trader:
This exhibit features a half-size wig wam built mainly of materials
found on site along the Snake River. The exhibit includes items that
the Ojibwe would have gotten through trade with the early European
traders. Also included in the this exhibit is dried plants collected
along the Kanabec History Center hiking trails that would have been
used by the Native Americans. (This is a long term exhibit)
- Logging in Kanabec County:
Logging was the first industry of the Kanabec County and it is what
first brought people to this region to log the white pine forests. A
maps marks the locations of the many logging camps in our county. Also
includes many artifacts from the Camp Creek logging camp. Pick up
brochures on camp cooking, camp tools and the route of the O' neal
brothers logging rail road.
- 1906's Kitchen:
This exhibit is set up to show what a 1906 farm kitchen would have
looked with wood stove cook stove. There are many kitchen "gadgets" of
the day on display. You can
check out pages of the Sears catalog to see how many of the items
featured could have been ordered from the "wish book."
- Vintage Quilts: Many
beautiful quilts from the collection are on view in this exhibit. Crazy
quilts with decorative stitches, pieced quilts, embroidered quilts and
a very interesting yo you quilt are all found in this exhibit.
- Music, Music, Music and The Bands Played On:
Vintage instruments, a radio, wind up phonograph and photos make up
this new exhibit. Find information about community bands and area dance
halls in the earlier days of Kanabec County.
- Kanabec County Schools:
Photos and information about the many rural school that once dotted the
Kanabec County countryside. Some where in operation into the 1970's.
of the above exhibits are open year round Tuesday through Saturday 10
AM to 4:30 PM No admission charge during the winter
months. May through October admission $3 adults $1 children K-12th
grades. Members always free. (Donations always appreciated)
Out Door Exhibits On Display During the Summer Months
Kanabec History Center has some historic buildings, a farm exhibit
building and other out door exhibits that are open during the spring
and summer from May to October each year.
Farming in Kanabec County: Features equipment that was used in
planting, harvesting etc. for the potato farming industry in our county.
- Seven Foot Dala Horse a gift from the American Swedish Institute.
Webster School Building Dist. 14: Built in 1889 the 16 x 20 foot
structure was the first Comfort Township Webster School. This log
building was later replaced with a brick school building and the log
building served as the home for the teacher. The building was donated
to the Kanabec History Center by Marvin Dresler and moved here in 1981.
School Dist. 41 formerly Dist. 21: The school district was established
in 1904. The school closed in 1963. The building was moved to the
Kanabec History Center grounds in 1987. It is currently used for Old
Tyme School classes each summer. See the "Education page" for more
information and how to register for these
- 1904 Fire Hall Building:
New this year, the 1904 fire hall replica building will open to the
public with a dedication ceremony on June 30th. It is an exact replica
of the first Mora Fire Hall. Inside you will find the original hose
cart from the original fire hall. Also newspaper clippings and photos
of some of the fires the first volunteer firemen were called out to
- Machinery Exhibit, 1960 Fire Truck and Black Smith Shop
- Picnic tables. hiking trails and labrynth are open for public use free of charge.
- The above buildings are open for viewing May through October Tuesday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
updated May 2012